There are various circumstances that allow a foreigner to be granted a visa for permanent residence in Brazil and among these scenarios, one is getting married to a Brazilian citizen.
If you are interested in applying for Brazilian permanent residency by marriage, you can get in touch with our lawyers.
The immigration lawyers at our law firm in Brazil can provide you with practical legal assistance in this regard.
The Brazilian marriage visa
Brazil marriage visas may be requested by foreigners who are married to Brazilians, whether they live in this country or abroad.
There is no grace period for the Brazilian marriage visa. After a legal marriage, the couple is free to apply for this kind of visa whenever they like.
Before you plan to obtain a spouse visa in Brazil, if the marriage was solemnized in another nation, the couple must register the marriage certificate with the Brazilian Consulate in the nation where the original certificate was issued.
A birth certificate and a statement of marital status must be submitted for a foreign national to get married in Brazil.
Registration and authentication of both documents are also required by the Brazilian Consulate in the applicant’s country of origin.
If you are planning to apply for a spouse visa in Brazil, you can get in touch with our lawyers.
They can offer you detailed information about the regulations of a marriage visa in Brazil. Furthermore, you are also welcome to reach out to our immigration attorneys if you have any questions regarding Brazilian permanent residency by marriage. They can answer your concerns accordingly.
The fiancé visa in Brazil
The procedure of immigration to Brazil is open not only to foreign citizens who are married to Brazilian nationals but also to those who are in stable relations. In such situations, people can apply for fiancé visas.
Just like in the case of a spouse visa, there are specific requirements to meet in order to bring one’s civil partner to Brazil. Among the requirements, we mention the following:
- depending on the country of origin of the foreign partner, an entry visa may be required before applying for a fiancé visa for Brazil;
- in terms of documents, since a marriage certificate is not available, other means through which the relationship can be demonstrated must be available;
- once in the country, the foreign partner can become eligible for a residence permit for Brazil.
If you want to apply for a fiancé visa to bring your life partner to this country, but you worry about how to prove your relationship, here is what you should consider:
- proof of living together in Brazil or another country can be used as support evidence when applying for the visa;
- witness statements can also be used to demonstrate your relationship with your foreign partner;
- you can gather any pictures or correspondence you have together;
- if you are planning to get married in Brazil, details about the date, venue, and other similar information can be used as proof of your relationship.
You can definitely rely on our immigration lawyers for guidance in applying for a fiancé visa in Brazil.
There are also cases in which Brazilian citizens want to get married to Americans and establish themselves in the United States, case in which the K1 visa must be obtained.
What to consider before applying for a fiancé visa in Brazil
There are a few aspects to consider when applying for a fiancé visa, one of which is that with it, a foreign citizen is allowed to enter Brazil. After coming to the country, the foreign national is required to apply for a residence permit with the nearest police station. Our lawyers in Brazil can advise in this case.
As long as the relationship continues when moving to this country, the foreign spouse who holds the permanent residence visa is allowed to live and work in Brazil indefinitely.
Our law firm in Brazil will handle the entire process, guiding the spouses at every step of the procedure. This includes drafting and filing all the paperwork with the immigration authorities for the approval of the visa, followed by updates on the status of the application.
Are there any sponsorship requirements to secure a fiancé visa?
Obtaining a fiancé visa in Brazil also comes with certain responsibilities for the Brazilian spouse. For this purpose:
- the Brazilian national must provide proof of the marriage or intention to get married, such as photographs, letters, shared financial obligations, etc.;
- financial capabilities to sustain the entire family once the foreign partner relocates to Brazil.
Feel free to address our Brazilian lawyers for guidance on how to demonstrate your marriage or relationship is genuine.
Where can you apply for Brazilian permanent residence by marriage?
If you are married to a Brazilian national, you may submit an application for a permanent residence visa at the Ministry of Justice via Federal Police offices or a Brazilian embassy in your homeland.
Your marriage license as well as witness statements must be submitted. Be ready for an unexpected visit from immigration officials who want to confirm that the union is real and not just a fake marriage to get a residency visa.
Brazil’s visa application procedure can be laborious and challenging. It requires official entities to certify a variety of documents, thus it is practically impossible to avoid consulting with legal professionals.
For any kind of legal assistance, you can get in touch with our Brazilian lawyers. They can help you to obtain a spouse visa in Brazil. This visa is available to the spouse and dependents of Brazilian nationals or lawful permanent residents. A person who marries a Brazilian citizen or permanent resident may only apply for this visa if the Brazilian citizen already resides in Brazil or if the couple intends to remain in this country permanently. If you want to immigrate to Brazil on this visa, please consult with our lawyers.
Can you lose your permanent residence in Brazil?
If the holder departs Brazil for a continuous period of more than two years, his/her permanent residency will end.
However, a new permanent visa can be requested. If your position as a permanent resident was contingent on meeting qualifying requirements and they are no longer met, then your status may be revoked.
Nonetheless, you can get in touch with our lawyers in Brazil if you need to know about the status of your Brazilian permanent residency by marriage. Besides this assistance, if you just entered into wedlock, and now you want to obtain a spouse visa for Brazil, you can get the legal services of our immigration lawyers. Consult with our lawyers if you are having problems with your residency in Brazil. For example, if you have been out of the country for two years, your residency permit will expire. In such a case, you must apply for residency again. Our lawyers in Brazil can help you with the application process in a practical way.
They can guide you step-by-step through the whole procedure of a fiancé visa in Brazil. Furthermore, if you are also interested in applying for Brazilian citizenship, our lawyers can help you. Foreigners who have lived in Brazil continuously for 15 years and have no criminal record may apply for Brazilian citizenship solely on that basis. This time frame, however, can be drastically reduced. The period can be reduced to four years if the foreigner has a permanent residence in Brazil, sufficient knowledge of the Portuguese language, and a job or sufficient funds to support himself and his family.
What documents are required for a marriage visa in Brazil?
If you are going to apply for a marriage visa in Brazil, you can consult with our lawyers, because the requirement of various documents for issuing a visa is complicated in this country.
Therefore, it is recommended to take legal advice when you plan to obtain a spouse visa in this country.
You can also find below a general list of documents required for a Brazilian marriage visa:
- a passport copy that has been notarized;
- the Brazilian spouse’s passport or an official Brazilian identification;
- a “Termo de Responsabilidade” affidavit of support is a document that must be signed by the Brazilian spouse in front of the Brazilian Consulate or a notary public in Brazil which says that the spouse is financially capable of supporting the applicant and children if any in Brazil;
- a Federal Police-issued non-criminal record that is no more than 90 days old, at most;
- proof—such as a utility bill—that the applicant has been within the consulate’s jurisdiction for at least 12 months;
- $20 for consular services.
Feel free to address our Brazilian law firm for guidance on the documents to draft for applying for a marriage visa.
Validity of marriage-related visas
The fiancé and spouse residence permit for Brazil falls under the family reunion category which means that:
- their validity is up to 1 year (depending on the time elapsed from the issuance date and the entry of the foreign partner in Brazil;
- the initial duration of stay is also up to 1 year, which starts with the time the foreign partner/spouse registers with the local police authority;
- following renewal, the foreign citizen can become eligible for permanent residency.
If you need support in applying for a spouse visa, you can rely on our immigration lawyers. Also, if you are interested in citizenship in Brazil, please note that you must be a permanent resident of this country for at least 4 years.
Contact our law firm in Brazil for more details. Our lawyers can efficiently assist you in obtaining a spouse visa in Brazil.
Furthermore, if you are thinking about incorporating a company in Brazil, you can rely on our lawyer’s services. They can help you open a business in this country.