The state of Brazil is very vigilant when it comes to granting citizenship to a person. So, if you are planning to get Brazilian citizenship by investment, you must hold a high status in your community and must not have any criminal record. The applicant does not need to renounce the current citizenship because Brazil recognizes dual citizenship and he/she can obtain Brazil residency along with the spouses and children under 18 years of age.
Our law firm in Brazil provides complete guidance to foreign investors, so get in touch with our lawyers if you want to obtain Brazil citizenship by investment.
|Citizenship by naturalization||
Yes. Lodged in Brazil
Minimum lawful stay before application
|Uninterupted minimum lawful stay of 4 years|
Reduced period of residence
|1 year for those who are married to a Brazilian, have a Brazilian child or a Brazilian parent. Other reduced periods of 3 years apply, subject to conditions|
|Conditions for naturalization||
Legal capacity, registration as a permanent resident, uninterrupted residence, Portuguese language knowledge, sufficient income, and others
|Citizenship by birth||Automatic at birth, with some exceptions|
For citizens of Portuguese-speaking countries, after an uninterrupted stay of 1 year. Other conditions apply
|Direct immigration with family members (YES/NO)||
Residency, followed by citizenship
|Family members allowed to join the program||Yes|
|Residence visa/citizenship processing time (approx.)||15 working days|
|Additional financial requirements for family members (YES/NO)||No|
|Timeframe for obtaining citizenship/residency by investment||
Immediate permanent residence after the confirmation of the investment
4 years uninterrupted permanent residence before applying for citizenship
|Dual citizenship permitted (YES/NO)||Yes|
|Reasons to choose Brazil||
Beautiful natural lanscape
|Personal income tax rate||Progressive rates: 0%,7.5%,15%,22.5%,27.5%|
|Visa free travel to other countries (approx. number of countries)||> 90|
Investor visa in Brazil
Those foreign nationals who show proof of their financial means and ability to do a direct investment in Brazil can obtain a permanent visa. Even though there is no Brazil citizenship by investment program, this country offers permanent residency to the foreign investors who fulfill certain requirements. The applicant for the permanent visa must apply for a work permit authorization.
For an investment visa in Brazil, a sole investor needs to invest R$500,000, but if this investment is made through a Brazilian legal entity then it would be R$600,000. An investor can also obtain Brazil residency by investment if he/she invests R$150,000 in research areas or technology. If a person hires ten Brazilian employees he/she may qualify for permanent residency in Brazil. There is not any drafted structure about where a person should invest to get qualified for an investment visa. He/she could invest in setting up a business, stocks, or real properties in Brazil. This process of obtaining an investor visa is generally comprised of setting up a legal entity (if applicable) in Brazil, transferring funds, presentation of the business plan to the Ministry of Labor, and opening a bank account. The applicant must present the business plan to the Ministry of Labor for approval. The Brazilian Central Bank will approve the financial means by issuing a statement.
Requirements for the investor visa
The investment visa in Brazil is subject to revision within the third year after its date of issuance. The visa will be renewed if the foreigner maintains the investment and has visited the country at least once during the first two years. After four years of holding a permanent residency visa, the applicant may apply for citizenship in Brazil. Citizenship will be granted to the applicant if he/she has resided continuously in Brazil. The other factors will also be checked while granting a person with citizenship, like; his/her Portuguese proficiency, and knowledge of Brazilian culture and history.
The applicant needs to complete the following requirements if he/she is planning to get an investment visa in Brazil in 2023:
- While applying for Brazil citizenship by investment, it must be noted that all foreign documents provided by the applicant must be notarized by the competent authorities in his/her country of origin and by the respective Brazilian consulate;
- All documents in a foreign language must be translated by a sworn Brazilian translator in Brazil;
- The applicant must have a solid business plan to obtain Brazil citizenship by investment;
- Permission of Ministry of Labor and Employment;
- Declaratory registration of Foreign Direct Investment in the Central Bank of Brazil;
- Verification of the payment of the individual immigration tax.
Our attorneys in Brazil can provide you with complete guidance regarding Brazil permanent residency by investment. Applicants for an investor visa must have a clean criminal record and submit a business/investment plan. Note that permanent residency must be renewed every three years if granted. The investment determines permanent residency status. This means that if the applicant wishes to remain in Brazil and does not obtain citizenship or other immigration permissions, the investment must be maintained. To learn more about maintaining residency in Brazil, get in touch with our lawyers.
Documents you need as proof of investment in Brazil
If you aim for citizenship by investment in Brazil, you must first secure an investor visa for which you need to draft the following documents:
- a business or investment plan that must be approved by the Ministry of Labor and Employment;
- a bank reference through which the financial institution you applied with accepts the investment (SISBACEN) or the declaration of foreign direct investment (FDI) with the Central Bank of Brazil.
- proof of payment for income tax for the legal entity’s final fiscal year of operations (if applicable);
- the articles of incorporation for the Brazilian legal entity that received the investment, if the case requires;
- the receipt indicating the payment of the visa fee.
All documents from other countries must be notarized by the appropriate authorities as well as by the relevant Brazilian consulate, and then translated by a Brazilian translator.
We remind you that if you are interested in dual citizenship in Brazil, after obtaining a passport for this country, you can also retain your former nationality, provided your country of origin has in place such a rule.
Documents required to secure the Brazilian golden visa
Apart from submitting evidence that you qualify for the investor visa, you also need to file several documents with the immigration authorities in order to obtain the right to live in Brazil. For this purpose, please note that you need to draft the following:
- a police clearance certificate in original;
- the passport in original and copy;
- a resume and academic and professional credentials;
- the birth certificate in original or certified copy, if needed;
- the original or certified copy of the marriage certificate, if you are married;
- proof of a residential address in Brazil;
- a bank statement indicating self-sufficiency (please note that this is a different amount of money from the sum required as investment);
- certified copies of the incorporation certificate or business license paperwork, if necessary;
- two recent photographs.
If you need support in finding a place to stay, such as a house to rent or buy, you can rely on our lawyers in Brazil.
With respect to the proof of self-sufficiency, the amount will be used to sustain yourself in order to not need social aid or until you start to earn an income in Brazil.
Rules and regulations regarding visa and citizenship
Once you get your investment visa in Brazil for 2023, your family will get permission to come to the country. You must visit Brazil at least once every two years to maintain your permanent residency status on an investor visa. The Brazilian authorities will periodically verify if you have left your investment in the country. Based on this verification your investor visa will be renewed or not. In normal cases, the applicant can apply for Brazil citizenship after four years of permanent residency. Brazilian citizenship qualifies you to get public sector jobs. In other circumstances, if you have a Brazilian spouse, you will get citizenship in one year. There is a significant amount of paperwork involved. Documents proving your relationship and everything you signed before getting married will fall into this category. If you possess any artistic, professional, or scientific skills, you can get Brazilian citizenship after two years.
If you are a person with a high net worth and looking for second citizenship in 2023, Brazil citizenship by investment is a suitable option for you. You can trust the services of our experienced Brazilian lawyers for any kind of legal help. If you are seeking legal assistance regarding immigration to Brazil, you can get in touch with our lawyers. They can provide you with comprehensive information about the different types of visas that the Brazilian government offers, and also guide you about the benefits of each. With their help, you will be able to move to this country on a suitable visa and without unnecessary delays.
Obtaining a passport and dual citizenship in Brazil
Even if the investor visa cannot be used to apply directly for Brazilian citizenship, it is a good starting point for those who want to obtain a second passport. This country does not require those moving here to renounce their first nationalities.
Here are the main requirements to qualify for citizenship in this country:
- a valid Brazilian permanent residence permit;
- proof of minimum residency of 4 uninterrupted years in Brazil with a total period of 12 months spent abroad within this time frame;
- a clean criminal record;
- knowledge of the Portuguese language.
Also, if you are interested in dual citizenship in Brazil, you can address our local immigration lawyers for details on the procedure.
The benefits of the investor visa in Brazil
The Brazil investment visa comes with numerous benefits, among which we mention the following:
- access to the country’s healthcare and education systems;
- access to a wide range of investment options;
- possibility to acquire a property in Brazil;
- access to Brazilian citizenship;
- after securing citizenship, you will have visa-free access to more than 160 countries.
Also, provided your country allows it, you can also benefit from dual citizenship in Brazil.
Foreign direct investment (FDI) in Brazil
In Brazil, the main investing countries are; Spain, Luxembourg, Germany, Bahamas, and the United States. The investments by these countries are mainly oriented towards, gas extraction, oil, chemical industry, and automotive industry. Here is also some useful information:
- According to the World Investment Report 2020, FDI inflows increased to USD 50.3 billion in 2021 in Brazil;
- in 2021, the FDI stock remained steady at USD 729,577 million;
- at the level of 2022, Brazil’s FDI stock was USD 815,627 million;
- the average number of days for setting up a business in Brazil decreased from 79.5 to 30 in the past few years.
You should apply for citizenship in Brazil in 2023 under the supervision of experienced lawyers. Their legal assistance will allow you to comply with the requirements of the citizenship procedure and there are also very little to no chances of having your application rejected.
Contact our law firm if you have enough capital to get Brazil citizenship by investment. Our Brazilian lawyers will provide you with their services throughout the process if you wish to apply in 2023. Brazil has good visa-free travel opportunities for its people. While Brazilian residents must get visas for the United States, Canada, and Australia, they have visa-free entry to some nations, including Russia. A Brazilian passport provides you with the majority of the privileges of a Western passport. A Brazilian passport might be a valuable tool for your child as they join you and your spouse in your Nomad Capitalist lifestyle. To enjoy these benefits, if you want to acquire Brazilian citizenship, our lawyers can assist you.